Some differences between Middle College and traditional high schools are:
- Middle College classes are held primarily in the afternoon.
- Middle College classes take place on the AB Tech Community college campus.
- Middle College students can earn tuition-free college credit while also earning high school credit.
- Middle College tries to offer small classes, averaging 18 students (or less).
College does not offer many of the comprehensive services found in
traditional high schools such as sports, art and music, clubs, and many
social events (sometimes arrangements can be made for Middle College
students to take part in these events at their district high schools).
- Students must provide their own transportation to Middle College
Expectations of the students
- Middle College diplomas ARE THE SAME AS all other NC high school diplomas.
College adheres to the same principles of relevance, rigor, and
relationships as all Buncombe County high schools. Middle College is a
special program for students who show the academic ability, the
maturity, motivation and good decision making needed to succeed in a
High school classes are taught by high school
teachers. Yet Middle College students must be able to meet high academic
standards, and handle responsibility for themselves with less
supervision, like college students.
To be a good candidate for Middle College, students need to show they can achieve the following:
Prerequisites for attendance
- Regular attendance
- Being on time
- Completing assigned work by deadlines
- Maintaining a minimum 2.5 GPA in Middle College high school classes.
- Getting along well with others
- Showing respect to our AB Tech hosts
Before attending Middle College students should successfully complete: